Last Updated on
Elliptical machines are special cardio workout machines that are capable of boosting your aerobic performance and speeds up the burning of excess calories. The static machine has a moving surface with changeable speeds to assist the user with walking and running. A typical elliptical machine offers numerous benefits, it improves your mobility and stability, the machine itself uses a small space, and you can exercise while doing something else (for instance you can read a book or enjoy music), and the machine is quite easy for maintenance. Elliptical machine come in different sizes and capacities, that equipment in the gym do come in larger sizes than those found in homes
Review of top 10 best elliptical machines
Cross-Functional Elliptical Trainer – Stamina InMotion E-1000
The Stamina InMotion E-1000 Elliptical Trainer is cross-functional in the sense that it can be used while in a sitting or standing position and can also be used as an under-desk elliptical trainer. It is small in size, making it perfect for home and office use.
It employs a stair-climbing type of motion so there’s no significant stride. If you use a standing desk, you would find the Stamina InMotion E-1000 very useful. It may require a little getting used to (exercising with a standing desk) but once you get the hang it, you’ll be “sitting pretty” fitness-wise. It is small enough to store in the closet and not constitute a space menace when not in use. It is also portable enough to carry about.
With its small size, it is a great alternative for a large elliptical trainer. Many people who buy full-size trainers end up not using them and they become an eyesore and storage nightmare. This one is small enough to fit in the closet when not in use. It is also portable enough to carry with you wherever you go.
It has an electronic meter display that shows time (up to 100 minutes), distance (up to 1,000 miles), count (up to 9,999 strides), and calories burned (up to 1,000 Kcal) functions. This is displayed at intervals of six seconds.
- Standing Position Option. It can be used while standing as well as under the desk. This is the only Elliptical reviewed in this article that has this option and can be used as a full-scale exercise machine like its contemporaries in the gym.
- Price. It is relatively and mostly affordable.
- Bidirectional. Forward and reverse motion available giving you more muscle exercising options.
- Weight limit. It can only be used as an under-desk Elliptical for weightier users because the weight limit is 250 pounds. Only lighter users can engage it while standing.
- Slightly noisy. It is slightly noisy for an open office space. It is most likely to distract others in a very quiet office. Best suited for a private office.
- Stride length. It has a shorter stride length than most elliptical bikes, which can be limiting in the effects of the exercise.
It is quite easy to assemble. The main attachment to be done is connecting the pedals to the base and attaching the front plate and rear bar. All tools for assembly are included in the kit. It might take between 10 and 15 minutes to assemble completely.
Precor EFX 576i Premium Commercial Series Elliptical Fitness Cross-trainer
The unique feature of this elliptical machine is the movable arms that make the workout more pleasurable. You can adjust the machine at angles between 15 and 40 degrees, and even extend the stride length from 21.2 to 24.7 “. There are 14 different resistance levels as well 3 cross-training options here and these help you vary your style and intensity of the workout. It comes with a small heart rate monitoring device that works perfectly with wireless monitors. This elliptical machine can support user-weights of up to 350 lbs.
E300 Endurance Elliptical Trainer
This machine offers an excellent combination of stability and space usage, especially with the center drive feature. The frames are perfectly balanced to prevent accidents or rocking, and it comes with a wonderful handgrip that supports the working of both the upper and lower body regions at the same time. You can also adjust the height of the machine to suit your needs.
Best Under Desk Elliptical – Cubii
The Cubii was born from a denial of a request made by Armav Dalmia for a standing desk while as an intern in college. He decided to look for an alternative to stay active while working and came up with the idea of an elliptical.
The Cubii Under Desk Elliptical is ergonomic, silent in operation, modern and connected. Its pedals have wide surface areas, which is the main difference between an elliptical and a bike. The pedals of an elliptical are longer and their footpads wider than that of an under desk bike. With the elliptical you can exercise your feet at different angles, working out more muscles in the process.
The Cubii is quiet and smooth, almost effortless during a workout. It is suitable for open offices where you can work out with irritating or disturbing your colleagues. It has an adjustable dial for regulating the resistance level. The Cubii has two attractive color combinations: grey and black, red and black. When pedaling at high resistance levels, the user can burn up to 150 calories per hour depending on several factors like the weight of the user, revolutions per minute (RPM) of the pedaling action, etc.
This video, courtesy of Cubii, from CNBC by Diana Olick will show you a demonstration of the Cubii and provide more information on the product:
- Low knee clearance. Just 4 inches of space between your knees and the underside of your desk is all you need to keep your knees from hitting the underside of your desk when pedaling.
- Quiet. It is noiseless. This makes it possible for use in open office spaces and even while on conference calls!
- Wide and grip-friendly Pedals. This allows you to move your feet up and down the pedals to get different angles to exercise more muscles. The rubber grip keeps your feet from slipping on or off the pedals.
- Bluetooth connectivity. The Cubii has a Bluetooth feature that enables you to connect to your devices like your smartphones or fitness devices. An app is available for iOS and Android devices.
- Wheel stoppers. They keep your chair from rolling around during exercise with the Elliptical. They are included in the Cubii package and should be placed on the front wheels of the chair before the commencement of the exercise.
- Bidirectional. Pedal action can be backward and forwards.
- Price. The retail price is more than most under desk elliptical in the market. However, it is an investment in your health and its features are arguably worth the extra cost.
Setting up your Cubii is easy. All tools and accessories required for assembly are included. Here is a list of what you will find in the box upon arrival.
- The Cubii
- 2 pedals
- 4 screws
- 1 screwdriver
- 2 wheel stoppers for rolling chairs
- 1 micro-usb cable
- 1 power adapter
- Instruction Manual
Check this setup video for guidance courtesy of Cubii (by Fitness Cubed Inc.).
ProForm 150i Elliptical
This machine comes with a workout surface that measures 17” which is long enough to accommodate every user. There are 12 different resistant levels here that will assist you in varying your workout intensities. The device is compatible with many accessories, these include iPods, workout apps, and smartphone audios. The feet level is adjustable, and it is completed with a holder for your water bottle and LCD monitor. This device can only support a maximum bodyweight of 250 lbs.
AFG Sports 5.9AE Elliptical
You can control your workout on this elliptical machine by connecting your tablet computer and then operate the machine with the AFG fitness app downloaded on the tablet pc. It comes with 5-watt speakers that can be wirelessly connected to music streaming. The frame construction of this machine will support your body frame and fitness intensities. Made from welded heavy steel for sturdiness, and the package comes with a free chest wrap you can use to monitor your heart rate.
NordicTrack Spacesaver SE9i Elliptical Trainers
It comes with a high price tag but very convenient to use. With the touch of a button, you can switch from one resistance level to another on the 24 resistance options. It comes with Bluetooth enabled heart rate sensors to monitor your heart rate performance, and there is a 7” HD monitor display that comes with 30 different workout apps plus touch controls. This machine can support body weights of up to 325 lbs. It comes with two 2” speakers plus an auxiliary music port for entertainment.
ProForm 295 CSE Elliptical
This machine is one of the most affordable around. It comes with 12 different workout types that can be viewed on the screen and it is also “iFit coach” compatible. The 14-inch workout surface is large enough for excellent stability. It comes with a 13” fly-wheel alongside multiple-positions for adjusting the upper body during a workout. There is an EKG grip Pulse sensor for monitoring heart rates, and a magnetic resistance feature that makes the device quiet during usage. It can support up to 250 lbs. of body weight.
Anfan Magnetic Elliptical Machine Trainer
Despite its affordability, this machine still manages to pack lots of features. It comes with a shorter 11” workout surface, and it can be tilted and rolled into a small space for easy storage. The machine will produce a smooth-flowing with no impact during a workout, while the belt-driven flywheel makes the device very quiet during usage. It comes with wheels that make transportation very easy.
ANCHEER Elliptical Machine Trainer
This is one of the most convenient elliptical machines you can find around because it comes with a seat and that means you don’t have to stand to work out all the time. It can support up to 250 lbs. of body weight, while the seat has a comfortable gel foam to support your frame. It comes with an in-built heart rate monitor, while the 8-level variable resistance can assist you to change workout intensity. The foot pedals are large and the ridges are elevated to provide a smooth workout.
How to choose a suitable elliptical machine- what to look for
Elliptical training devices come with different features that can help you achieve your workout goals and objectives, but there are some factors to consider to choose the most suitable ones that suit your needs. Your ideal elliptical machine must meet the following to consider it as the most suitable buy;
▪ It must have adjustable incline- helps you work out all the muscle groups and protect you from injuries in the joints.
▪ It must provide a fluid elliptical motion- The machine must not have a “kick effect” hence it must provide smooth motion backward and forward.
▪ Must provide adjustable workout resistance- the best machine must provide a smooth electronic transition from one resistant level to another.
▪ It must be quiet- any elliptical machine that is not quite enough during use is not good for you. Quietness means smooth operation.
▪ added features- an ideal elliptical machine should come with added features such as pulse and heart monitor rate, but features such as music streaming, Bluetooth connectivity, and apps integration, may not be that important.
If accessories are more important to you, then you will have to pay extra to get the most accessorized elliptical machines out there but if all you want it a machine that is comfortable to use while supporting your workout goals, then you can find many elliptical machines at cheaper rates.Read More:
- Best Recumbent Exercise Bike Reviews
- Best Exercise Stepper Machines in 2019
- WaterRower GX Home Rowing Machine
- Product Review – Vive Pedal Exerciser
Feature Image Source: Best Elliptical Machine Reviews
All Other Image Source: Amazon.com